Old February 26th 04, 11:48 PM
Jim Doyle

"Ed Majden" wrote in message
news:W0t%b.621339$X%5.404706@pd7tw2no...

----- Original Message -----
From: "ArtKramr"

We can always give isolated examples that prove the exception. But in an

army
when the exception is the rule, we end up with a mob where everyone is

in
business for themselves. Not a good way to go to war.

Unfortunately there are many examples! If an officer has the

confidence
of his men and he has respect for the troops he commands in most cases his
orders will be followed without question. Just because a guy has bars on
his shoulders does not necessarily mean he is a good leader or for that
matter a knowledgeable one. In the British forces rank often came from
class distinction not whether you deserved the position. Remember Dieppe

or
Hong Kong!

Hang on Ed, surly you can't pin Dieppe on British ineptitude - being an
Allied venture, it needed Allied ratification. If anything it was a Canadian
effort (something like 5,000 Canadian troops), the only British employed
were a number of commandos, IIRC about the same number of US Rangers were
also used. Plus what on earth did the Brits do to Hong Kong except turn it
into the prosperous place of commerce and business it is now?!
Can't argue with your stating that often British officers were born to it.
John E Johnson (sp?), the wartime spitfire ace, had his initial pre-war
pilot application turned down since he stumbled in the interview having been
ask for which hunt he rode! I can guarantee this is not the case any longer.

With respect:

Genuinely likewise,

Jim D

Ed