Old November 22nd 03, 08:43 PM
Steve

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 23:28:37 GMT, "Vaughn"
wrote:

I have a better test, one that many PC "flight simulator" fans say is
somehow unfair. Simply put a qualified pilot that has never "flown"
computers in front of your "flight simulator". If he can take off, fly
safely and return to earth (exactly the same as he could undoubtably do in
the real thing), then you MAY have made a real flight simulator. If he
can't, then whatever it is that you are simulating, it is not flight!

I recall the days of Janes F-15, when Sean Long contributed greatly to one
of the flight sim newsgroups and taught many of us how to land the Mud Hen.
The procedure in the manual didn't work too well and from what I remember,
his teachings were the same as in real life. There were many other aspects
of the sim that seemed to mimic the real thing.

That said, even if PC sims are not "real", they should certainly
be counted as valid training aids.

That depends on exactly what you are simulating and what the training
objective is. Have you ever hear of "negative transfer"?

Like in WWII simulators? :-) Your up's and down's are the wrong way round
etc. Or is there something else?

--
Steve.