Old February 9th 09, 02:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Moving a glider with a U-Haul Truck

On Feb 7, 6:27*pm, wrote:
Does anybody have any experience moving a Standard/15m class sailplane
with a U-Haul truck or similar?

I see this as an option for self-retrieving from a *long* straight out
XC flight -- no-crew and no returning home to get your trailer (and
then back to the glider and back home -- makes me tired just talking
about it...)

I'm thinking you could do this with a bare, box truck (say a 26' long
U-Haul) with ONLY ratchet tie-down straps and some pads (i.e., stuff
available anywhere). *This includes the fueslage and wings. *With a

Has anyone tried this?

Eric
ER

The hours you save on the retreive will likely be exceeded by the hour
needed to fix the damage you will likely do to the glider.
Find a friend.
Good luck and don't let this keep you from trying that great flight.
UH