Old November 20th 03, 04:34 PM
G.R. Patterson III

John wrote:

It's a purely theortical question, but I am curious whether a
professional pilot could be charged with a crime if he knowingly aided
a person avoid an arrest warrant.

There is a Federal crime of "aiding and abetting a fugitive". Some of the States
(I don't know if California is one) would allow the pilot to also be charged
as "accessory after the fact", which can carry sentences nearly as severe as
Jackson's crime.

I knew a woman once in Georgia who shot a man and stole his car. A 14 year old
girl who helped her avoid arrest for several days was sentenced to ten years
as accessory after the fact to murder. She served about seven. On the plus side,
she got a much better education while in prison than she would have been able
to get outside.

George Patterson
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something that can
be learned no other way.