Old July 30th 03, 04:31 AM
Roger Halstead

On 24 Jul 2003 18:36:47 GMT, (TripFarmer) wrote:

Does anyone own this? I was thinking of using it at home as I start my
instrument training for help with repetative proceedures.

When I was doing my training I used one of the versions of FS, but I
don't remember which.

I had one sim that was for IFR training and it was great. It came on a
stack of floppies, which eventually became corrupted and I think they
went under.

Then I also picked up a copy of "On Top" and was not at all impressed
with the graphics and display... This was one of the earlier releases,
so they may have improved since then, but I'd sure not buy another
like the one I had. (still around here some where) I just found
it...version 6.0

If you own it do you have a recommendation for a Yoke or Joystick?

To some the difference between the yoke and Joystick is tremendous and
to others it makes not a nickels worth of difference.

I do prefer a setup that uses rudder pedals.

From what I've seen and my experience is a bit dated, they "good"
flight sims make an excellent add on to your training. IOW, it can
help with practicing your scan, holding altitude, flight planning, and
even a bit on approaches.

Unfortunately they lack the realism of being able to reach up and
switch radios and changing the OBS. Instead you have to point and
click. Some even have ATC giving you vectors for the approaches.

I did quite a few night flights from Chicago to MBS. I found the
simulated radios (com and nav) to be awkward, but other than that, I
think they helped quite a bit.

Leave the autopilot off) :-)), set the weather to something less than
clear and calm. OTOH I never have been able to land a sim in much
wind.

www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R World's oldest Debonair? (S# CD-2)

Thanks in advance.

Trip