Old December 17th 07, 07:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Al G[_1_]

Default Hangar construction question - Level Hangars?

"Gig601XLBuilder" wrote in message
On Dec 17, 10:19 am, "Al G" wrote:
Our City Council recently had some t-hangars built at KRBG. They
were
built on a slope, I think 1.5%. The doors open real easily one way, and
need
help going the other way. The floors aren't level, the walls aren't
vertical, albeit not by very much.
My question is: Doesn't this cause some structural problems? If a
snow
load is put on these hangars, doesn't that put a lateral load on the
vertical columns? I don't ever remember a building being built where the
walls weren't vertical.

Al G

Hard to believe they passed a building inspection, or received a CO.

Ben

It all kind of depends on how they were offset from vertical.

_______
/ \
/ \
/ \

Is going to be stronger than...
_____________
\ /
\ /
\ /

Of course, if you have this...
___________
\ \
\ \
\ \

You're screwed.

Yep, the last one. I've been inside, and saw no special diagonal
bracing. The interior is supported by a large steel "T"'s running East/West,
with the posts landing in the middle wall. The hangars open East & West, and
the slope is North/South. It appears that only the hangar skin is supporting
any load diagonally, and that has the doors cut in it.

In addition, the distance from doors to the middle wall is shorter than
the distance from the middle wall to the back of the hangar. A Bonanza, 210,
or Warrior all stick out of the door. I guess something like a T-Craft or
Cub would fit.

These are brand new $200/month T-Hangars, fingers are being pointed, and
the airport manager just quit. I don't know if it matters, but keep in mind,
this is a city building. They have not needed to comply with the buried
drainage ditches like all the other builders. One of their drainage gutters
came out 9" above the hangar line it was to protect. An Audit is underway.

Al G