Old January 8th 04, 12:07 AM
RobbelothE

ubject: Victor Belenko's Narrative of Blackbird Activity in Soviet Far East
From: (frank wight)
Date: 1/7/2004 1:12 PM Central Standard Time
In the book "Mig-Pilot"
The ghost author writes that Mig's were Scrambled
to intercept Sr-71's that flew just outside of
Soviet Airspace in the mid 1970's.

The Blackbird's allegedly would "scoop up to altitudes
that the Mig-25's couldn't reach or dash off at
speeds the Mig-25's couldn't match" ...as they
played with the Ruskies.

Is such an encounter possible? I thought that
the Blackbird pilot was rather busy shooting
film and getting ready for the next fueling.

I watched a Soviet attempt to catch a Blackbird about 20 years ago in Germany.
We saw the Foxbat launch out of a base near Berlin and head north at the
speed of heat -- at least Mach 2.1+ -- in an attempt to lead the Blackbird
enough for an intercept.

The Blackbird changed course 2 or 3 degrees and the Foxbat missed by miles. The
Foxbat was going so fast that, after apparently realizing he'd miss the
Blackbird, he had crossed the Baltic Sea and went miles into Sweden before he
could turn around.

I bet there was a Foxbat with an engine change when he got back to base.

Ed
"The French couldn't hate us any
more unless we helped 'em out in another war."
--Will Rogers

(Delete text after dot com for e-mail reply.)