Thread: RJ 5 handicap
View Single Post
Old November 3rd 16, 05:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default RJ 5 handicap

On Wednesday, November 2, 2016 at 7:11:38 PM UTC-7, wrote:
What handicap number would the RJ 5 ( 40 to 1 condition) have under the current system? Guesses / opinions?

My opinion? The handicap should state that anyone who enters any contest in the RJ-5 automatically wins.

Looking at the in-period competition results suggests to me that a handicap based on it being a but better than the K6E, SH-1 or Skylark 4 might be about right. Maybe the same as an SHK? I wasn't even around in those days so all I know about the subject is gleaned from reading old issues of Soaring and Sailplane & Gliding. I'm fascinated by the older ships and what the scene was like from 1945 through the mid-70's. Even the competition reports from those days are fun to read! I really want to get the time to visit some vintage events in the future. So far the older designs in my logbook are an early 1-26 and 1-23, and a 2-22. I suppose my ASW-15 is fairly old as was the Phoebus C I had a few flights in this year and the L-13's were certainly a vintage design but none of those seems to really feel "vintage" to me. I would love a chance to get up in a 2-8 or LK-10 someday.