Old February 17th 05, 02:04 AM
W.J. \(Bill\) Dean \(U.K.\).

Default Intended stopping point

I did not explain my assumption when suggesting one should "Always hit the
far fence not the near fence."

The assumption is that the pilot is trying to land in a field which is too
short. The pilot would naturally wish to fly over the near fence at
minimum height and minimum speed. If this goes wrong and the fence is hit,
this happens at flying speed.

If the pilot clears the near fence but fails to stop before the far fence,
then at least the glider will be on the ground with some reduction in speed.

If a ground loop is attempted this should be left as late as possible,
because the faster the glider is moving the more likely that a ground loop
may turn into a cartwheel.

W.J. (Bill) Dean (U.K.).
Remove "ic" to reply.

"Mark Newton" wrote in message
In article ,
"W.J. \(Bill\) Dean \(U.K.\)." wrote:

There are two rules for crashing (apologies to Ian Strachan):

1. Always crash with your wings level.

2. Always hit the far fence not the near fence.

Actually three rules:

3. If you run out of options and a crash is inevitable, always try
to hit the softest, least expensive object as slowly as possible.

(which, in a roundabout sort of way, is exactly what this thread is
about, right?)

- mark :-)