Old July 1st 05, 11:43 PM
SR20GOER

"M" wrote in message
oups.com...

Anyone worries about what the rising avgas price to the light plane
ownership in the U.S? I have absolutely no doubt that the average
avgas price will surpass $5/gallon in about 5 years. We'll probably
see a significant drop of GA flying, along with a big drop of the value
of used airplanes. It's really depressing just to think about it.

Maybe Lycoming should start researching Ethenol powered aero engines
:-) With global warming, we can turn Canada into a giant corn field.

Suddenly I feel a little better, we are around AUD $1.30 for AVGAS at
present.
This USA pricing is going to accelerate the development of these new fuel
efficient, longer TBO, less parts diesel cycle engines - just reading the
test on one in a C182 in Aust Flying Mag. However, AVTUR will probably then
go up in price.

Problem with ethanol is I believe it has less volumetric efficiency and more
prone to vapour lock but I'd be interested to hear comment.

My experience has been that alternative fuels start off well but when a
Government starts losing taxes on mainstream fuels as a consequence they
usually bump up the tax etc on the alternative fuel. LPG in Oz a classic
example.
Diesel out here is dearer than unleaded motor fuel, is a big user so not
more expensive to supply, and is cracked out of the refining process at an
earlier stage therefore probably cheaper to produce.
I might take up something cheaper like ocean yacht racing?
Brian