Old March 30th 06, 05:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning

Default Cracked ribs

Bummer on the rib.
Glad you did the inspection though.
After the repair is done you'll sleep better.
Jim

"Jack Allison" wrote in message
. ..
Jack Allison wrote:

Oops...meant to post in r.a.o...bah, stupid fingers!

Piper has a new service bulletin, SB1161 that calls for inspection of
the rib just inboard of the landing gear and aft of the main spar.

http://www.newpiper.com/company/Publ...20Insp-Mod.pdf

The SB requires putting the plane on jacks and removing the gear side
brace and bracket.

As 04T is in for the annual, we figured it was a good time to have the
SB performed. It turns out we have cracks on both sides of the rib and
they're bad enough that the repair kit announced in the SB can't be
used. Solution: two new ribs. Cost for parts: 1.1 AMU. Labor is
unknown at the moment but the shop is putting together an estimate.

At least I can split the repair bill three ways...but it's still gonna
put a dent in the flying funds.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-Instrument Airplane