Old January 1st 07, 04:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Diamond DA-40 headroom

Eric,

I've got a DA40, with sheepskin seat covers, and I'm 6' 3" with a
34-35" inseam. Two things that make a difference - taking out the seat
covers buys an extra inch, and using a lightspeed headseat (which my
partner flies with) gets you and inch on the top of the head. He's a
former Airforce fighter pilot, and Airforce instructor who flew for
Eastern, and he swears by the headset.

I find that I hit my headset the frist five or ten minutes of a flight,
then I seem to "Settle in" to the seat after that.

I love the plane - she's awesome to fly for a number of reasons:
1) Incredible view outside the plane
2) G1000 system is fantastic
3) Flying with a stick seems like you're flying a "real plane"
4) Safest safety record in it's class
5) Good speed / forgiveness trade-off.

Patrick Sweeney
DA-40
242F

wrote:
I had a chance to fly a DA-40 Diamond Star quite a bit over the
holidays, to give some young eagles rides to kids in the family. After
flying this plane, I'd have to say I much prefer it to either the 172
or Archer. The only downside I found was that the headroom in the front
seats is just barely enough for me with a headset on. None of the seats
have any adjustments, but I was wondering if any DA-40 owners have
modified the seat cushions to get any additional height. If there is a
way to do this, then the DA-40 may have potential as a more practical
replacement to the warbird I'm flying now (when I have to give it up in
a few years).

Thanks,
Eric Bartsch
1959 Pilatus P3-05