Old October 17th 07, 10:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Blueskies

Default Interior screws - C172G

wrote in message oups.com...

There are elevator and rudder cables and pulleys under the
entire length of the 172's floor. If you don't yank the rear seat, you
can't get the carpet up and take the inspection panels off. Every time
we get another second-hand 172 we find the pulleys under there seized,
cables worn, an incredible amount of junk including mouse nests and
droppings (corrosive), dirt, oil, small stones (tracked in by people),
rags and lost hardware (risk of cable/pulley fouling), and so on.
Sometimes even tools.

There's no substitute for taking the time to do it right. We
do it, it takes a couple hours longer, but we seldom have any snags in
between inspections. And we're always surprised, even though we
shouldn't be, at how easily all the controls move after we've cleaned
everything, freed up all the pulleys and bellcranks, and set all the
cable tensions to spec.

Dan

Nice write up! Thanks!

Dan D.