Old December 27th 17, 03:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Death of the 13.5m class?

I have to agree with Eric, here.Â* Patti and I first tried a Pipistrel
Sinus so she could learn to fly, but it was a disappointment to me as a
glider.Â* Fortunately I had kept my LAK-17a for soaring, but she wanted
to try soaring, too, so the Stemme was the ideal solution.Â* We can
launch whenever we want, experience high performance soaring
side-by-side, and go places without a tow plane to worry about.

As to performance, just look at some of Mike Abernathy's flights on
OLC.Â* He knows how to use the Stemme!

On 12/27/2017 7:40 AM, Tango Eight wrote:
On Tuesday, December 26, 2017 at 11:55:37 PM UTC-5, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Tango Eight wrote on 12/26/2017 6:19 AM:
On Monday, December 25, 2017 at 11:15:18 PM UTC-5, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Even if the scoring ends with the motor
starting, having a motor can change how the soaring is done.
Behold: honesty. Rare enough to be noteworthy. Thanks, Eric.

I fly a motor glider because it can change how the soaring is done

Exactly.

Back to the original point: the motorized guys have a track record in the IGC. Non-motorized guys -- if they care -- should pay attention to that. If Mr Fitch and like minded folk on the IGC can sing 'em all to sleep, well, I'm on my own! At least there's one hard ass left!

best,
Evan Ludeman / T8

--
Dan, 5J