Old January 18th 06, 09:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Corvair conversion engines

See: http://www.flycorvair.com/crankissues.html

"Ron Webb" wrote in message ...
Do you have a link for the broken cranks? I cannot find anything about broken cranks on the "Corvair authority" site.

http://www.flycorvair.com/

I did find the following statement:

"I have never seen a cracked head, cylinder, case, crank or rod in the hundreds of Corvair engines I have inspected. It is a very
strong engine."

The Corvair engine has been flying since the early 1960's. Seems odd that ANY flaw would only now be being discovered.

Everything seemed OK until yesterday when I read the most recent updates on their website. Seems that the "untreated" automotive
cranks have been cracking in a very short time. Nitriding seems like the only solution. But with standard cranks cracking at
under 100 hours, what would be the expected life of a nitrided crank. Twice as long, four times as long, eight times as long?
This would still fall short of the 1500 hour TBO stated by the Corvair Authority.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with Corvair conversion engines? Any info on their realistic life and reliability?

TIA,

CV