Old November 8th 03, 06:22 PM
Ron Rosenfeld

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 10:21:53 -0500, "Robert Henry"
wrote:

If the arriving
aircraft cancels IFR and proceeds direct to the field...that's different.

Yes it is, but that wasn't the situation you initially described. In my
experience, it is unusual for an aircraft to cancel IFR when arriving at a
towered field.

Does that happen frequently at your field?

Now, if the tower was expecting an easterly departure, and the aircraft
proceeds west according to the ODP, then what?

If the a/c is departing IFR, with no particular alternate departure
instructions, the tower should expect that the aircraft will fly the ODP.
Again, if the tower is NOT expecting the IFR departure to fly the ODP, then
they need proper training.

In any event, I would expect that the tower would clear arriving VFR
aircraft to enter the pattern in such a way as to not conflict with
departing traffic.

At towered airports where I have operated, in a situation similar to what
you are now describing, the tower will usually issue advisories to both
aircraft. It sure has not been unusual for me to depart an airport in VMC
and have traffic arriving from many directions.