Old November 28th 05, 10:06 PM
Ginny Ginny is offline
Junior Member

Location: Saigon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Smith
Had a strange thing happen to me today. I filed IFR HPN - HFD (White
Plains NY to Hartford CT). The route part of my clearance came back
"radar vectors Carmel[VOR], V1, Hartford[VOR], Direct".

Usually out of HPN I would expect to get the Westchester-1 departure,
but it wasn't in my clearance, and I when I read back the clearance
without it, I got "readback correct". Seemed a little strange, but I
went with the flow (I should have asked for clarification, I'm not
sure why I didn't). The turn in the SID took us away from our first
fix, so I guess I figured they were just doing us a favor or something
with a shorter routing.

We took off and I started climbing straight out. The HPN-1 has an
almost 180-degree turn almost immediately. The guy I was with asked
me why I wasn't making the turn and I said we weren't on the SID. I
asked tower and they said I should be on the SID.

So, what went wrong? Did I goof? Am I supposed to fly the SID (not a
DP) even though it's not in the clearance? Is it more likely that it
was in the clearance but I just didn't hear it and the controller
didn't notice that it wasn't in the readback?
As I understand, you get climb out instruction from approach unit before departure (if it's not included in the ATC clearance). That climb out instruction can be or cannot be SID. In anyway, you just follow it. I think htere could be some misunderstanding between tower and approach controllers. So if there happen to be something unclear, pilot need to make sure with ATC unit. We never assume anything.