Old March 10th 04, 02:14 AM
Doug

This is on a carbureted Lycoming 0-360 with one EGT/CGT guage (on
farthest back cylinder).
I run 1350 EGT all the time (or as high as I can get if at altitutde
and can't get that high). What is going on, is this. At high power
setting, 75% or better, peak is 1450 or greater. So at high power I am
running 100 (or more) rich of peak. As I go from 75% down to 55%, peak
decreases to 1350. At 55%, 1350 IS peak, and that is safe, because
the engine can't make enough heat at peak to burn the valves etc.

I monitor CHT also, and if it goes above 400, I richen (and speed up)
in order to cool.

Hope that helps.