Old June 1st 04, 08:46 AM
Bruce Hoult

In article ,
(Nyal Williams) wrote:

ThePOH calls for a maximum strength of the weak link to be 700 daN.
Does anyone know what that is in pounds?

No, but we can figure it out.

daN will be "deca Newton". A Newton is the force required to accelerate
1 kg at 1 m/s^2. Gravity can accelerate a kg at 9.8 m/s^2, so a daN is
near enough to the force required to pick up a 1 kg weight.

So 700 daN is near enough the force to pick up 700 kg (1500 lbs). Which
means it'll give a PeeWee well over a 2G jerk, and pick it up with ease.

Which will be great comfort to me, I'm sure, the next time I'm in a
PeeWee dangling on a rope under the big Pawnee as it does a banner
tow-style climbout.

-- Bruce