Old September 1st 17, 03:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobW

Default Where can I train in a PW-6? Seminole Lake's is down formaintenance for a couple of months

Likely the closest thing I've flown to a PW-5 has been a G-103, but (IMO) the
advice given previously in this thread has been solidly good. Were the advice
excerpted immediately below universally applied to "3-wheeled gliders" (G-103,
ASK-21, PW-X, etc.) I'd bet Real Money on there being fewer "liftoff
pitch-related silliness" incidents than there've historically been...

[Snip...]I raised the nose
a small amount as soon as the elevator became effective, just as I would
with a G103, ASK-21, Puchacz or any other nose-wheel glider, and let it
run on its main wheel until it lifted off quite nicely as the speed built
up.

Some instructors will likely argue semantics, but IMHO, one way of making an
end run around the (implied above) need to "raise the nose a small amount as
soon as the elevator becomes effective" is to begin the ground roll with full
aft stick and then *relax* back pressure as the nose wheel gradually comes off
the ground, halting the stick motion at some deck/fuselage angle rolling only
on the center wheel and hold that fore/aft position until the plane levitates
into the air on its own. In a G-103 at 5300' msl behind a 260hp Pawnee, the
acceleration rate is sufficiently gradual as to make the "stick relaxation
rate" a no-brainer. The advantage (in my mind) is there's no need to wonder if
you've sufficient airflow over the controls to be *able* to raise the nose
with a timed pitch input...

More good advice...
A practise run in any nose-wheel training glider would be a good idea if
you normally fly tail-wheel gliders.

Have fun with your PW-5!!!

Bob W.

P.S. My suggestion presumes a nose hook connection...

---
http://www.avg.com