Old August 20th 08, 11:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc
JGalban via AviationKB.com

Default Hand Held Tach

Brian Whatcott wrote:

When I point it at this screen (Free Agent News Reader) it registers
1800 rpm i.e 60 flashes / sec if I select two blade, or
1200 rpm if I select 3 blade. If I point it at a compact fluorescent,
it indicates 3600 rpm (120 flashes/sec)

What rpm should I expect if I'm using MS Outlook as a newsreader?:-))

Seriously, I've seen several folks using the hobby store tachs at the
airport. As far as I know, they don't require any patches to be stuck to the
prop. The big upside is that they cost about 10% of what specialized
aircraft optical tachs (Prop Tach, TruTach) cost. As with most things, if
it's for an airplane, multiply the normal price by about 10.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)