Old November 3rd 19, 03:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default GLIDING INTERNATIONAL -- RESEARCH

The engine's failure to start did not cause the accident.Â* The reliance
on the engine to start was one link in the accident chain.

On 11/3/2019 5:23 AM, Paul T wrote:
At 08:04 03 November 2019, wrote:
We at Gliding International have just completed a three months

study on
the=
accident sitution in regard to our sport. We have examined (in

detail)
th=
e 96 reported accidents which show that our problematic area of

soaring
fl=
ight relates to the landing phase.

We took note of all accidents from 1/1/2019 to 31/08/2019 which

indicates
f=
or sure (on the conservative side) that fatalities for the calendar

year
of=
2019 will be 43. No organisation or sport should turn a blind eye

what=
is obviously a totally unacceptable situation.

We haven't got an answer to this problem but we are open to

discussion and
=
be a catalyst for change.

Also in our November issue is a report from Sebastian Kawa who

has
personal=
ly set out to explain his recent serious accident. An uphill landing

into
=
a very questionable landing zone with no options. He must be

complimented
=
for writing his report on the accident for our sport enthusiasts. He

tells
=
all how to avoid a repetition of the problem. Basically the accident
emanat=
ed from the failure of his motor to start. He has quoted the

number of
exp=
eriences he has personally experienced with motor failures and has

started
=
a war on brands of motors that must be regarded as totally

unreliable.
JOHN ROAKE
EDITOR

One should never rely on the motor to start.........

--
Dan, 5J