Old November 3rd 19, 04:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

Default GLIDING INTERNATIONAL -- RESEARCH

On Sunday, November 3, 2019 at 7:49:12 AM UTC-8, Dan Marotta wrote:
The engine's failure to start did not cause the accident.Â* The reliance
on the engine to start was one link in the accident chain.

On 11/3/2019 5:23 AM, Paul T wrote:
At 08:04 03 November 2019, wrote:
We at Gliding International have just completed a three months

study on
the=
accident sitution in regard to our sport. We have examined (in

detail)
th=
e 96 reported accidents which show that our problematic area of

soaring
fl=
ight relates to the landing phase.

We took note of all accidents from 1/1/2019 to 31/08/2019 which

indicates
f=
or sure (on the conservative side) that fatalities for the calendar

year
of=
2019 will be 43. No organisation or sport should turn a blind eye

what=
is obviously a totally unacceptable situation.

We haven't got an answer to this problem but we are open to

discussion and
=
be a catalyst for change.

Also in our November issue is a report from Sebastian Kawa who

has
personal=
ly set out to explain his recent serious accident. An uphill landing

into
=
a very questionable landing zone with no options. He must be

complimented
=
for writing his report on the accident for our sport enthusiasts. He

tells
=
all how to avoid a repetition of the problem. Basically the accident
emanat=
ed from the failure of his motor to start. He has quoted the

number of
exp=
eriences he has personally experienced with motor failures and has

started
=
a war on brands of motors that must be regarded as totally

unreliable.
JOHN ROAKE
EDITOR

One should never rely on the motor to start.........

--
Dan, 5J

From the Schleicher ASH26E manual: "The powerplant of a powered sailplane must not be regarded as life insurance, for instance when crossing unlandable areas. One must always be prepared for the possibility that the engine will fail to deliver the hoped for propulsion". This was a clear case of pilot error, the sailplane performed as expected.