Old October 12th 20, 11:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default Best Overall Motorglider available today?

Dave Walsh wrote on 10/12/2020 2:26 PM:
Not at all sure I'd consider having to lug heavy batteries out of the
glider,
putting them in a car, transporting them and then recharging them in
your RV/Gite/hotel/hangar/caravan/whatever could be viewed as a
universally good solution.
Then reversing the process next morning?

Simply plugging a single mains power lead into the Antares type 'battery
in wing' is a bit simpler, no? (The Antares has a built in charger system).

Of course, that is the most desirable solution. The other solutions, including removing the
wing batteries, are for the times there isn't mains power near the glider parking area - the
usual situation I encounter. The only airfield I recall having convenient 120VAC sockets near
the aircraft was in Canada, so pilots could plug in their engine heaters during the winter.

For most pilots with wing batteries, I think a quiet, 2kW portable generator will be the
easiest answer to independent charging of their glider. They are priced in the $400-$1000
range, so cheap enough.