Old May 12th 07, 01:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Russian enterprise to build wooden sail plane ?

In ca. 1964 I bought [already second-hand then] a Russian
multiband radio, which I'm still using. So there are
quality products produced in Russia ?

In 1970-80's aircraft quality spruce wood, then available
mostly from N. America, was said to be near unobtainable.

A violin maker told that he was able to select from very
few trees, which he paid for before they were cut-down,
at a very high price.

I can't believe that there is a shortage of aircraft quality
spruce, now with the availability of the vast Russian
forests !

Also Russia has ample knowledge about aircraft
design and construction -- also wooden.

Do some parts of Russia have a strong tradition of
doing accurate wood-work ?

For sport gliders, the wooden construction is suitable,
because it allows easily repairs for the commonly
expected but unintended landings in rough fields.

Several existing designs from Europe and USA still
give excelent gliders, especially for training purposes.
The main problem is the labour intensity [too many
jobs] for expensive Western labour.

Have any readers opinions on the viability of a Russian
enterprise which would build wooden gliders & would
perhaps be combined with a gliding school for foreign
students/clients ?

== Chris Glur.