Old September 23rd 07, 08:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
B[_2_]

Default 430W/When does the glideslope register

The FAA learned early-on that there are issues with having an RNAV hold
at the FAF. So, that is why they are at the IF.

With an ILS where the hold is at the FAF the presumption is that you
will be using the ILS G/S, not the WAAAS G/S.

You might try changing to VTF rolling out inbound on your last hold.

scott moore wrote:
Keep in mind I tried out my new 430W install for
the first time today.

I tried a few sample approaches, really outstanding.
The 430W makes you want to try full (not vectored)
approaches because it essentially automates everything.
It will hold on the approach hold, start the approach
on its own when you tell it, and fly the missed to
hold also on its own.

After trying the published approach a couple of times,
I then tried using it in a standard pattern. I wanted
to see if I could use it like a standard ILS, where the
GS becomes active on the approach. This didn't work
unless I maneuvered back behind the FAF. Attempting to
forward the approach past the FAF to the runway or
to a fix between it and the FAF worked, but announced
"approach not active", and no GS was seen.

I guess it makes sense that the GS does not go active
unless you at least fly through the FAF. Has this
been your experience with the 430W? Or is there another
way to get it to show the GS on most/all approaches,
including VFR patterns?

Thanks.