Old July 17th 04, 07:09 PM
robert arndt

(B2431) wrote in message ...
From:
(robert arndt)
Date: 7/17/2004 12:48 AM Central Daylight Time
http://www.sacbee.com/24hour/special...-6862352c.html

Rob

In another thread you said that U.S. troops were "throwing away their M-4s" and
using AKs instead. All this article says is commanders are allowing soldiers in
specific circumstances to carry AKs.

In fierce street fighting against Iraqi insurgents many US soldiers
have "ditched or discarded" their M4s for captured AK-47s. That does
not imply that they were throwing them away (which as a US soldier you
cannot do)- they basically just kept the M4s around while preferring
to use the AK-47s in combat as their main weapon, especially with the
huge stocks of AK47 ammo lying around.
I never meant to imply they threw their M4s away. If I was in Iraq I
would grab one too and use it. We all know the history of the AK-47
families and copies around the world. It is arguably the best assault
rifle around in terms of longevity, durability, firepower, and
simplicity of design. (Of course they stole the basic design from the
German STG-44 while the West went for Mauser's STG-45 design).

Now then, what does this have to do with military aviation?

Nothing, just proving you wrong again. YOU said the US soldiers
WEREN'T swapping out/using AK-47s in combat in Iraq. You asked me to
prove it and I did.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Rob