Old December 12th 16, 07:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Lilium: the world's first 250mph, 300 mile range, electric vertical take off and landing jet

Larry Dighera wrote:
On Mon, 12 Dec 2016 16:35:14 -0000, wrote:

Larry Dighera wrote:
On Sat, 10 Dec 2016 22:11:04 -0000,
wrote:

Larry Dighera wrote:
On Fri, 9 Dec 2016 19:40:30 -0500, Vaughn Simon wrote:

On 12/9/2016 5:27 PM, Larry Dighera wrote:
Lilium: the world's first electric vertical take off and landing jet

Even if it were the world's first VTOL electric "jet" (which is isn't)
you can't make that claim until the plane has actually been built and
flown. (No evidence of that in the links)

As for the 250 MPH speed and 300 mile range claims, given today's
technology I call "bull****". At best, you MIGHT be able to build a
plane that would be sufficiently optimized to give you one of the above,
definitely not both.

Given the GOPesque puffery, the Lilium's marketing is consistent with the
mendacity of Trump. :-)

My take was it was written by someone that does not know much about aviation.

"Lilium has been designed by German engineers Daniel Wiegand, Patrick Nathen,
Sebastian Born and Matthias Meiner."

Are you saying the silly press release was written by the design engineers?

It would appear that the European Space Agency is touting the same
specifications:

Again, are you saying the silly press release was written by the design
engineers?

snip crap?

?We are going for a plane that can take off and land vertically and does not
need the complex and expensive infrastructure of an airport.

The "complex and expensive infrastructure" for general aviation aircraft
is a few thousand feet of fairly level dirt with pavement optional.

?To reduce noise and pollution, we are using electric engines so it can also be
used close to urban areas.?

Conventional aircraft are used close to urban areas.

Today, general public aviation offers fixed-wing aircraft and helicopters.
Conventional aircraft are efficient, fast and available in many sizes but
require airports often 20?50 km from city centres because of their space-hungry
runways and the high noise levels.

Arm waving nonsense.

Airports are expensive bottlenecks for transportation. This is especially so
for short-haul flights, where travel time to and from airports can easily
double the duration of a trip. This is not a problem for helicopters, which can
take off almost anywhere and are therefore often used for short shuttle flights
and special applications.

Maybe in some parts of anti-aviation Europe, but all of Europe isn't that
big to begin with.

However, helicopters are very noisy and difficult to fly ? which requires
expensive licences. They also have no backup in case of rotor failure, making
them expensive to build and maintain.

Ever heard of autorotation?

Yeah, I guess for some people helicopeters would be difficult to fly.

The Lilium vehicle combines the benefits of helicopters and fixed-wing aircraft
while avoiding their drawbacks. While initially restricted to airfields, the
goal is for it to take off vertically from almost anywhere ? even from back
gardens ? it needs only an open flat area of about 15x15 m.

Which would be a huge yard in most European cities.

snip

Entirely electric, the plane is much quieter during takeoff than helicopters
thanks to its ducted fan engines. Its batteries, engines and controllers are
redundant, making it a much safer design than conventional helicopters.

The sound of air driven by 435 hp in VTOL operations is NOT going to
be a whisper.

The plane is classed as a Light Sport Aircraft for two occupants, with the
pilot?s licence requiring 20 hours? minimum training ? almost like taking a
driving licence.

Where does a 435 hp, 190 mph restractable aircraft fit into the Light
Sport catagory in any country?

snip

Using computer control for vertical takeoff and landing is essential for a
vehicle targeted at the consumer market for personal transportation.

Using computer control for vertical takeoff and landing is essential for
any practical aircraft like this.

Highly efficient in its cruising mode, the vehicle will have a range of 500 km.

How much range does VTOL operations eat up?

It features a touchscreen and fly-by-wire joystick controls, retractable
landing gear, wing doors, large storage, panoramic windows, and a battery that
can be recharged from any wall plug.
Ducted fans on wings

Not many wall plugs available at any airport I've been to for transient
aircraft. How long to recharge?

Satnav is crucial to the high degree of automation and wind compensation during
takeoff and landing.

Meaning it is unstable as hell without the computer as one would expect.

snip

The retail cost will be far less than similar-sized aircraft of today and with
much lower running costs.

Sure it will; ever heard of the Skycacther?

I'm betting well over $200k as a certified aircraft.

?With the concept of taking off and landing almost everywhere, we could see
that one day our plane will be used for quick and daily transportation almost
like a car today.?

Utter fantasy; the NIMBY's of the world would never allow it.

snip

Perhaps the it's the efficiency of the ducted fan engines of the Lilium
aircraft that enable the performance? Voodoo?

Or pixie dust.

snip

photo-lilium-jet-prototype_web

No matter how many times they call it a jet, it is not a jet.

Investment positions Lilium to lead the sustainable transport revolution.

The magic word "sustainable" always comes up in snake oil sales pitches.

The investment will help bring to market the Lilium Jet,

It is still not a jet.

a lightweight commuter
aircraft capable of carrying passengers into the heart of towns and cities
without the extensive airport infrastructure required by traditional planes or
the noise associated with helicopters.

Just a huge investment in helipads on top of buildings.

It also brings one step closer the possibility of environmentally-sustainable
air travel transforming existing urban congestion and enabling people to move
around more safely and efficiently.

How heart warming.

Flight testing of the first full size Lilium Jet

It is still not a jet.

snip

to design the best possible means of transportation for the 21st century. With
our technology we can triple the radius of people?s lives

Nonsense.

People don't go farther than they have to.

snip repetitive arm waving and dreaming

--
Jim Pennino