Old June 14th 18, 04:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Cobra trailer stuck closed

we were interested to find that the whole cylinder had expanded enough to make getting it out of its square sleeve difficult.

Any ideas what caused this? Rust? Gradual deformation over time (I haven't seen that before)?

I dealt with a few strut failures on an older Komet trailer where the gas springs were mounted externally and exposed to road grit. But the gas springs in my 26-year-old Cobra are still going strong, in part--I suspect--because they're mounted in the correct orientation and are protected inside the square tubing, which is inside the trailer. But I've never actually inspected them.

Chip Bearden