Old August 31st 04, 02:35 AM
SelwayKid

"Neb Okla" wrote in message ...
Witnesses reported seeing kite string wrapped around the heli.

http://news12.com/LI/topstories/article?id=118790

Could that even cause a heli to crash? I'd think that a kite string would
be easily broken... and even if it did wrap around a control area, I'd
think that the helicopter would have sufficient power to overpower the
string.

With the revolving parts in the mast and tail rotor, the string gets
wrapped very rapidly around the control links and its tensile strength
has little to do with it. Much like wrapping sewing thread around your
fingers to the point you can't move them.
It has happened more than once and caused crashes of helicopters.
Ol Shy & Bashful