Old September 3rd 04, 05:43 PM
anon

(SelwayKid) wrote in message . com...
"Neb Okla" wrote in message ...
Witnesses reported seeing kite string wrapped around the heli.

http://news12.com/LI/topstories/article?id=118790

Could that even cause a heli to crash? I'd think that a kite string would
be easily broken... and even if it did wrap around a control area, I'd
think that the helicopter would have sufficient power to overpower the
string.

With the revolving parts in the mast and tail rotor, the string gets
wrapped very rapidly around the control links and its tensile strength
has little to do with it. Much like wrapping sewing thread around your
fingers to the point you can't move them.
It has happened more than once and caused crashes of helicopters.
Ol Shy & Bashful

I would be curious if it was mechanical. The owner of the ship is the
only rotorcraft school on long island, and has a history of building
ships out of other broken ships. The quality of his helicopters are
questionable. The owner also has a history of installing wrong parts
on other helicopters that have caused loss of life. Check the NTSB,
seems like alot of accidents in 5 years from one FOB.

4/20/2002
10/24/2002
Islip, NY
Robinson R-22