Old July 17th 05, 01:40 PM
Rich

It does happen. Usually a factor of traffic congestion with really bad
weather. If they accept you, they've GOT to handle you... but they're
off the hook if they don't accept the hand-off from the previous
facility. It's a real-time, dynamic situation... ten minutes later they
might have been able to work you in.

Happened to me once, flying to Oshkosh from SE Michigan. Chicago Center
refused to take the hand-off from Muskegon approach. Muskegeon held
onto me as long as they could, and finally gave me a heading of 180 to
keep me in their airspace. I told them in no uncertain terms that I
didn't want to fly Lake Michigan lengthwise. Fortunately, it was VMC so
I cancelled IFR and went on my merry way.

Rich

Mike Granby wrote:
I take off, and everything is fine, until I'm headed
southbound from the HGR VOR, when the Washington Center controller
calls me and says "Err, 8096J, Potomac Approach is refusing to handle
you, say intentions." So now, here I am, in the air with two small kids
on board, and being turned back towards what was, a while back at
least, some nasty weather. I was amazed that they gave me a clearance for that route, and then
wouldn't honor it! Comments???