Old July 14th 08, 03:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gig 601Xl Builder

Default Zenith 601 builders!!!

Bryan Martin wrote:
A first time builder with some mechanical aptitude could probably get
one flying in about 800 to 1000 hours. I got mine flying with about 1200
hours with an IFR panel and polished aluminum finish.

In article
,
Lou wrote:

To all the 601 builders out there. How long does it actually take to
build the basic
kit? I'm not talking about all the extras that are on our dare to
dream list, or the quick build kit, I mean basic VFR package, easy
paint, just enough to have fun and fly.
Lou

Not finished yet but from first measurement to first take-off I'd say
Bryan's numbers sound about right.

I would say though that 2 guys who had done it before who either had
ready access to spare parts and/or were able to fab their own could
build the air frame in half that time if not less.

I've been working on mine since Oct of 2002. The tail, wings and some of
the fuselage were built on the patio of my house. I worked mainly on the
weekends and made very good time. The tail and wings were done in 2004.
I started on the fuselage and then decided that I might as well go ahead
and get my hanger built. That put almost a one year hold on any
building. Once I got in the hanger the South Arkansas heat limited the
amount of time I could spend out there 6 months out of the year then we
got to the point where I was waiting about a year to have my engine
built. I didn't want to do much of the electrical until I had the engine
so that delayed me yet again.

Now with the engine on the mount things are once again moving at quite a
clip. As I get closer I find myself working during the week on it some
as well.