Old July 30th 11, 05:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Default Etiquette in a Thermal

On Jul 28, 11:22*pm, Tom Stock wrote:
Walt Connelly wrote:
Okay, let's hear your views on what proper etiquette might be in a
thermal. *We all know the first man in decides the direction of the turn
and we should all thermal at the same speed. *The Glider Pilot Handbook
seems somewhat unconcerned with the rules and etiquette and the internet
information seems to be the domain of the hang gliders and para-gliders
as to this subject. *What say you my friends? *(I think we have beaten
the rudder waggle thing to death)

Walt

I'd also like tips for entering a pre-established gaggle. * *Keeping other
gliders in sight is not too difficult if I am in the thermal and another
glider or two enters... but I have trouble entering with another glider and
ending up in the correct position (directly across from the other glider)..
I have been practicing be entering very low as not to disrupt the gaggle,
but I find it hard to judge the entry point and bank to get into the
gaggle. *I have been watching other pilots, and it seems they come in fast,
open brakes anf get behind a thermalling glider matching bank angle, and
then continue with brakes to slow down and sort of slip backwards into
safer position... maybe this is not actually what is going on... but thats
how it looks.

any advice appreciated.

One technique is to approach the gaggle at a tangent, slightly outside
their flighpaths. Gently pull up to slow down and match their speed,
then circle along the outside until you can slide into an opening in
the gaggle from the outside. This way, you don't have to open your
brakes (not a good idea) and can slowly ease up, slowing to the speed
of the gaggle, and wait for an opening to appear. Since you are
flying a longer path, the gaggle will be moving faster than you even
when you are at the same airspeed.

Note: DON'T get so involved in the gaggle that you stop clearing your
flightpath! This is a prime place to have a midair - if someone else
is trying to join at the same time!

Kirk
66