Old October 22nd 11, 12:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
brianDG303[_2_]

Default PowerFlarm mounting question, and an idea for mounting devices

Hi everyone,
I have a Powerflarm coming and was reviewing the mounting options. On
the Cumulas site Paul says: "I strongly recommend the PowerFLARM
External Display unless you have a free 57 mm instrument hole at the
very top of your instrument panel." I don't and so I am looking for
input into where I might mount the display.

Here is the plan, I currently have 3 varios. I plan on removing the
Winter, moving the Borgelt and it's battery down to the Winter
position to used as a back-up incase of battery or other failure, and
to install the 57MM butterfly where the Borgelt is now, next to the
Tru-Track. I have assumed that that will be high enough and central
enough to my line of vision to work well. I am wondering if PF users
feel like that won't work.

As an aside the mounting of the MiniMap might be of interest. I built
up a swing-away mount using a home made bracket and a suction-cup
iPhone mount from ebay ($5) that I VHB taped to the MiniMap mounting
frame. I have never liked RAM mounts myself and this system solves
several issues. It allows the MiniMap to be moved inboard while I'm
getting into the glider so I don't bang into with my leg or it can be
swung fully out to face away from the glider to program the MiniMap
from outside the cockpit. In flight it blocks most of the altimeter
but I link the MiniMap QNH so it feeds accurate altitude to the
display vario. That way I get altitude from the vario at the same
time as vario information and don't look at the altimeter much
anyway. If the MiniMap fails I can swing it back to expose the
altimeter. Works really well.

I have uploaded photos at:

http://tinyurl.com/6hfk3ku

Thank you all,