Old January 26th 04, 10:40 PM
Kevin Brooks

"Olivers" wrote in message
Kristan Roberge muttered....

How often do you strike 4 pounds of bird? Other than ducks and geese,
I can't think of many 4 pound birds you might run a plane into.

For years - back when a/c ranges were more limited than today's birds, the
USN operated a/c (landbased and "seaplanes")out of scenic Midway I., where
the local frigate birds/albatross ran a few bits over 4 pounds. In the

US,
with so many airports having been built adjacent to water...JFK, LGW, DCA,
to name a prominent few, migratory ducks and geese are regular airport
visitors. Several old SAC bases could have pheasant "On Final" and
crossing departure runways.

"TUSIABP"*

*The US is a "birdy" place....

Yep. He obviously is not too familiar with ornithology, as he missed out
also on the ubiquitous turkey buzzards and pelicans we have here in the
states, not to mention the rapidly growing eagle populations. On a trip back
home from visiting my parents recently, the wife and I watched a bald eagle
majestically circling right over the runway of the region's most active
skydiving airfield; a couple of years back my boss took me out for a
lunchtime visit to a local pond he had heard about where we counted about
eight eagles roosting in trees around its banks, and the local game warden
told us that they had actually counted over twenty at that spot a few days
earlier.

Brooks

TMO