Old November 24th 04, 09:03 PM
Rob

Default Seeking advice on pilot training approach...

Hello,

I was hoping to get some advice from private pilots regarding getting
my pilot's license. I've been doing some thinking about it and have
decided that I need more information from real pilots before I venture
into training.

CURRENT BACKGROUND
So far, I am the proud 'owner' of a Cessna Skylane 182 and a variety
of other planes...at least the ones that come with Microsoft Flight
Simulator 2000. I'm guessing that I'll be getting an upgrade to MSFS
2004 by Christmas. In the meantime, I've been reading the aviation
articles, dabbling in the lessons, and just plain trying out different
things in the simulated aircraft. I also took an exhilarating
introductory lesson from an aviation club in town, which really gave
me the itch to fly.

GOALS AND PLANS
My current plans are to gradually save up money for purchasing flight
training within a regular, straight-through training schedule. My
goal is to obtain flight training between now and around 15 years from
now (I'm willing to wait that long to save up the money for up-front,
debt-free training). My learning style is definitely "do it all at
once and keep focused on the instruction" rather than "a little here
and a little there". In the meantime, I'm taking my time to explore
the various topics associated with flying (weather, navigation, engine
mechanics, flight physics, etc.).

CONCERNS
Some of the concerns and doubts I have have to do with my learning
styles and abilities, plus my personality type and my usual approach
to problem solving. I promise not to get behind the yoke until I've
hammered out as many quirks as I can, so don't worry. Based on a
learning profile I was given in college by a psychologist when trying
to get extra help passing some classes, I am in the high 90th
percentile with learning verbal and writing skills, while I'm in the
10th percentile when it comes to numeric and mathematical concepts.
This tracks true to reality. I tested out of sophomore english in my
freshman year of college, but had to take Calculus four times in my
junior and senior years before I could pass it (which I finally did,
with a B+). Electronics engineering classes were also a problem...I'm
more of a software guy now (my career) because nothing "burns up" and
if something doesn't work, you just debug and recompile it.

Other math classes have caused me similar grief, though I was able to
pass them with a B or C grade the first time. I'm okay more or less
with physics and geometry because the more I can visualize something
using real-world objects and experiences, the quicker I can understand
it. Adding, subtracting, multiplying, and especially dividing complex
numbers (really anything involving 3 digits or more in total)
virtually paralyzes me and I have to run to a calculator, or write it
all down and/or use my fingers.

Although my verbal learning skills are high, for some reason my
verbatim memorization skills are not. This definitely applies to
numbers as well (I tend to transpose sequences of numbers, like phone
numbers, in strange ways) so, I write whatever I can in notebooks or
save them in computer files for future reference.

My problem solving skills could definitely use more help, though
they're better than they used to be. In the past, I got frustrated
easily, especially with problems that just didn't seem to have a root
cause (I still swear loudly at my computer whenever it crashes for no
discernable reason...not something that will help me if an aircraft
has similar plans). I'm a little better now at taking a deep breath
and a moment to realize what's happening now and what the consequences
will be in the future, but my main problem remains that my mind wants
to go blank and just "walk away" from the situation until its had a
few hours to process the variables. Not acceptable in aviation, from
what I understand.

Finally, my personality could be a concern. I lose my temper at
backseat drivers (ATC?) and getting lost when driving (fog bank?
checkpoint VFR over unfamiliar terrain?). I also have a little
difficulty focusing on a person talking or giving directions while I'm
simultaneously maneuvering through a busy intersection (ATC chatting
at me while I'm manipulating Nav or GPS controls and scads of other
instrumentation while maintaining altitude and level flight?). Are
these traits that I could reasonably expect to "unlearn", especially
now that I'm in my 30s and my neural pathways are hardening along with
my arteries? Has anyone else found a way to vett these types of
behaviors enough to become a safe and capable pilot?

If you've gotten this far, thank you for following my ramblings. I
know it's a little much, but if you wouldn't mind taking some time to
answer my questions and give me some advice on how to approach flight
training, I would sure appreciate it.

So would my wife and kids who, at least for now, vow they will never
get in a plane with me at the yoke.

Indebtedly,
Rob Watson
Pilot in "training"