Old February 7th 04, 04:05 AM
Steve R.

"Stu Fields" wrote in message
Bart is so right that the only way he could be so right is to have the
Tshirt, Shorts, Sox , anc Jock Strap for having Been There and Done That.

soloed my Safari and was flying about OK as long as nothing went wrong.

One
day it did and I reacted like a well trained fixed wing pilot and nearly

got
killed. There certainly are some serious fixed wing trainings that need

be erased the moment you start up with the collective. If I had done what

know now to be the proper response, I wouldn't have rolled my Safari up in

very little ball and dinged my body up. I've done the add-on training and
still feel like I got a license to learn and have to be very careful. I
taught myself to fly a Benson Gyrocopter in the 60's when dual was not
available. I never dinged a thing. The helicopter is another story. I
can't imagine even after having several beers teaching myself to fly a
helo. I'm sure that I don't have enough dual to achieve the safety level

would like to have yet. I have more than 200hrs. now. The only 16hr helo
pilots that I would ride with are Chuck Yeager and Bob Hoover and I would
have a dialogue with them first.
Stu Fields.

Hi Stu,

Interesting response to Bart's comments. Out of curiosity, would you care
to elaborate on the error(s) you made with your Safari? If you'd rather
not, that's Ok, but I "am" curious! ;-)

Your comments on teaching one's self to fly a helicopter is also well taken.
Kind of put's in perspective what Igor Sikorski did when he taught himself
to fly "and" design a helicopter all at the same time, doesn't it? :-o

Fly Safe,
Steve R.