Old August 1st 05, 09:01 AM
Andrew Warbrick

At 07:12 01 August 2005, Jack Glendening wrote:
I am making some experimental soaring forecasts for
Great
Britain and realized that I don't know the units being
used
there as don't know how far metrification has gone.
Are
airplane altitudes reported in feet? Are wind speeds
in
knots? Are temperatures in Fahrenheit?

Jack

Yes. Yes. Mostly no.

Also:
Airspeed - knots
Cross country average speed - kph
Distance (task) - km
Distance (navigation) - km or nauticle miles
Rate of climb/sink - knots or occasionally 'Dickies'
Pressure - millibars/hectopascals except for oxygen/tire
pressures which are in psi
Retrieve distances - Statute Miles (except aerotow
retrieve which is usually km)
Cockpit loading - avoirdupois pounds or sometimes kilograms
Water ballast - gallons or barrels or pounds

Makes perfect sense if you ask me