Old July 8th 06, 10:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Krztalizer

Default How do you pronounce "Mi" as in Mil Mi-8

Aircraft recognition in Army Aviation evaluations all are pronounced

em eye 8 em eye 24 etc

--

boB

Echo that - my desk drawers are crammed with 8x10s of "Em-eye 24s" that
used to chase us all over the Sea of Okhotsk. In 12 years of riding in
various tactical aircraft, generally in helicopters, with a primary
'day job' of teaching recognition of Soviet and other foreign aircraft,
I never once heard anyone call a product of this design bureau as a
"My", only "Em-eye". For twenty years, I had a display case of parts
at the San Diego Aerospace Museum from an 'Em-eye' 8 Hip that we
disabled in Somalia.

v/r
Gordon
Reco instructor for FITCPAC, ASWWINGPAC, SWATS, BOOMPAC, and years of
squadron level instructing pilots and aircrews.