Old August 24th 06, 08:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Gary Drescher

Default Is an IPC a substitute for 6 approaches?

"Jose" wrote in message
. com...
So an IPC might indeed include only three approaches, but that wouldn't
qualify the pilot to fly IFR unless the pilot has flown three other
approaches within the past six months.

Gee, I never looked at it that way. But, OTOH, an instrument rated pilot
who goes nine months without any instrument time, and subsequently does
six approaches, holds, and intercepts under the hood, would not need the
IPC, since he at that point DOES meet the original requirement. This would
make the IPC irrelevant, which I'm sure is not what they had in mind.

After just nine months without instrument time, a pilot would not
necessarily need an IPC to regain currency. The IPC requirement kicks in six
months after instrument currency expires. At that point, though, just the
six approaches (and holds and intercepts) do not suffice to reestablish
currency; there has to be an IPC. So the IPC isn't irrelevant in that case.

--Gary