Old December 19th 17, 10:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz

Default Akaflieg Karlsruhe AK-X

At 05:10 13 December 2017, Michael Opitz wrote:
At 00:34 13 December 2017, Andreas Maurer wrote:

And, second question:
Do you know if the Horton guys ever considered winglets instead

of the drag ailerons?

Andreas,

I just got my copy of the book. The only Horten design which I
found using winglets (although they were ~2-3 meters inboard of
the tips) was on a 4 engine transport, the Ae. 38. The rudders only
moved in the outboard direction, and were controlled by
aerodynamic servo tabs. It only flew once due to being forced
(by nationalistic pride) to use engines that had only 40% of the
power that the aircraft was designed for. It had 30 cubic meters of
storage space. The Ae. 38 was conceived of in 1950 in Argentina.
It eventually flew there in 1960 and was then scrapped.

JJ,

Sorry I didn't answer about your crosswind question earlier. I'm
afraid that I don't know the answer to it though. Unless I find
something about it in the book, anything I would say at this point
would only be speculation except that I don't remember Dad
addressing crosswind landings in the Ho IV. The Me 163 had a
rudder like the Genesis and a much higher approach speed, so it
handled crosswinds like most other aircraft, except when it had
been flown so fast that the transonic flutter had caused the
rudder to disintegrate so badly that only the front spar/hinge
was left. Dad found that result on approach as he tried to slip it
with no result after one particularly high speed flight...

RO