Old July 26th 03, 07:14 PM
Kirk Stant

Dave Martin wrote in message
Kirk invited comments -- obviously an aerotow man.

A man of all tastes - I have winch launched (in Germany) and would do
it if available out here, but in the US aerotow is more common. I'm
also a tow pilot, so have seen it from both ends.

Kirk try this in your machine at height I suggest several
thousand feet.

Fly at 60 knots and then pull hard back to about 45
degrees climb attitude, as the speed decays push hard
forwards, as you attain straight and level flight turn
quickly left or right . If you do it correctly you
can enter a spin nicely, IN any machine!!!!!!!

Interesting maneuver. Sounds like a rolling departure - which would
take some real mishandling of the glider to do! I also so some
aerobatics (Grobs, Swifts, Pilatus etc) so I'm a bit familiar with
what a glider will do in unusual attitudes.

It is the classic spin off a winch launch failure.
Pulling up hard into thermals and pushing hard over
is no different. As an instructor it requires a
little practice to make it work every time. Somehow
students do it with ease

Sounds like you are forcing a negative AOA stall then rolling, causing
an inverted spin from right side up.

If your description of how you pull up is true then
I will steer clear of you in the sky! May be you were
just taking the p***

Well, In my description I never lose control of my glider, despite a
badly misjudged pullup to well below stall speed - in yours you depart
into a spin! I think I will steer clear of you, too!

Dave Martin

Cheers,

Kirk