Old July 14th 05, 06:29 PM
Wayne Paul

The "Schreder Sailplane Designs" web site
(http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder) is a good source for HP/RS sailplane
information. It is a repository of data provided by various HP/RS owners
and builders.

The following articles contain information that will be valuable to anyone
considering purchasing a HP or RS sailplane:
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/St..._HP_flight.htm
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/Large-span_flaps.html
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/St...r_on_Flaps.htm
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/Co...Inspection.htm

Wayne
HP-14 N990 "6F"

"Michael" wrote in message
ups.com...

The reason I mentioned total time is this - I don't generally recommend
an HP to someone with low total time because the handling is somewhat
challenging - more so than is normal for a glider. However, someone
with a reasonable amount of airplane time would have no problem with it
(and certainly someone with hours in 5 digits including military time
would not find the handling challenging). The advantage is this - you
get a ship with reasonable XC performance (35:1 and up, depending on
model, and much better penetration than you're going to get in any of
the other gliders you are considering) in an all-metal ship that can be
kept assembled and tied down. It's not really a good choice for a
glider-only pilot, because someone with enough experience to deal with
the handling usually won't be satisfied with the performance (it won't
match a modern glass ship) and a 50-hour pilot is usually going to have
problems with the takeoffs and landings (a friend of mine bought his
HP-18 at 50 hours and ground looped it at least half a dozen times
before he learned to fly it). However, it is a great choice for a
transition pilot. I think it would be ideal for you.

The 1-26E can be kept tied down outside, but it's not ideal. The
control surfaces are fabric, so they will deteriorate. I agree with
you about the flying qualities of the 1-26 - it's great fun. I think
you will find the L-33 disappointing by comparison; I know I did. It's
a shame you don't have a hangar available - the Ka-8 is like a 1-26,
only more so - just as light on the controls as the 1-26 but with
better feel, and a much better soaring ship. If you ever have the
chance to fly one, take it. But it's wood, so outside storage is a
problem, and it's just as much of a pain to assemble as the 1-26 if not
more so.

If you're going to assemble and disassemble daily, I don't really see
any advantage to a metal ship. A PW-5 or Russia would make a lot of
sense (note - I haven't flown either, so can't comment on the flying
qualities) but why not something like a Libelle? I would not recommend
an HP if you are going to assemble and disassemble daily - those wings
are HEAVY.

Michael