Old July 16th 05, 09:49 PM
Stuart Grant

Had an L-33 tied out in Miami sun and rain for two years no worse for
wear. I used Nufinish car wax on it at least twice a year and had
"Sunbrella" covers for the wings, canopy and tail fin (stored the
horizontal stab inside).

It was not very easy to get the wing pins in - but I didn't get much
practice with only about 6 or 7 assemblies in two years. I really don't
think I would want to assemble it for every flight.

When I flew it I weighed about 160 lbs and didn't use a chute. I
frequently thermalled it below 40 knots in small thermals. I think it
flew and landed great. I now fly a 1987 Discus B which goes together
very easily. Discii are known for their great handling and I think the
L-33 handled just as nice.

If you read the Dick Johnson review article you will see that the
reason the one he flew had a tendancy to spin was because it was a test
ship that had been flown faster than Vne and the wings had wrinkles.

The L33 was the first single place glider I ever flew and I had about
40 hours in gliders when I first flew it. I think it is safe for a
low-time pilot but maybe get a checkout from a CFIG. My CFIG (Burt
Compton) taught me to land it level on the main wheel - not tail first.
It has a strong shock-absorbed main wheel and I usually touched down at
a little below 40 knots - not full stall.

I think it was extremely well made and I had lots of fun in it. Lots of
pilots flew it in Miami and everyone liked it.