Old July 15th 18, 01:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Godfrey (QT)[_2_]

Default Locating device mounting

On Saturday, July 14, 2018 at 11:11:58 PM UTC-4, Eric Greenwell wrote:
John Godfrey (QT) wrote on 6/23/2018 8:49 AM:
On Saturday, June 23, 2018 at 11:08:49 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Recent descriptions of the Nephi accident are driving me to rethink my decision about location of my Spot in the ship.
I have had it mounted on the canopy frame to try to get the best view of the sky for tracking. It kind of gets in the way a little when on the chute harness.
My assumption has been that in the event of a bad thing happening both the glider and I will be in close proximity.
I got it wrong.
My Spot will go back on the harness.
1- It stays with me.
2- Assuming I'm capable I can orient it and activate emergency even if I have bailed out.
FWIW
UH

Anything you expect to help folks find you needs to be attached to the front of your chute. Otherwise it is camping gear.

I have my SPOT3 on chest strap (works fine). SMAK PAK Survival Kit on right shoulder caries cellphone, whistle, mirror, strobe and space blanket.

You have the parachute to keep you warm and provide some shelter. What is the
purpose of the space blanket?

Parachute may get hung up on landing (trees, rocks) and not be useable (see YO pictures). Takes up very little volume.