Old August 5th 15, 06:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
7C

Default FLARM in Stealth Mode at US 15M/Standard Nationals - Loved It!

On Wednesday, 5 August 2015 15:08:08 UTC+1, Papa3 wrote:
The US 15M/Standard Class Nationals required FLARM to be in stealth mode for the duration of the contest. I have to say, I absolutely enjoyed the experience. FLARM became what it was always supposed to be - a collision avoidance tool - rather than a tactical leaching tool. I found that I would get alerts for gliders in the same thermal or approaching/exiting the thermal up to about 1 mile away, but no more. Not a single surprise conflict from a FLARM-equipped glider.

I wonder if others had the same positive experience. I would hope other contests would consider requiring Stealth Mode.

Erik Mann (P3)

Note that other planes will NOT have any more warning of you. This has caused issues in the UK, and as a result Stealth is no longer required for competitions.