Old November 19th 17, 05:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
TP

Default Next glider, ownership costs question?

On Sunday, November 19, 2017 at 11:03:11 AM UTC-5, flgliderpilot wrote:
Low time pilot, 60hrs, have done some solo cross country flying but not a lot. Sold my 1-26E a few years ago (not by choice, business debt at the time).

My first thought is to jump into another 1-26 or 1-34 for a number of reasons (safety and availability). I could land my 1-26 just about anywhere!

My budget is 10K or less, and I am still saving, so in the meantime I'm wondering about inexpensive older fiberglass options such as the Libelle, etc.

Are fiberglass gliders more expensive to maintain and repair?

Easily damaged on rough landouts?

Qualified mechanics easier or harder to find, vs aluminum?

Insurance costs aluminum vs fiberglass?

Are fabric covered gliders (1-26 A,B) much more expensive to maintain?

I remember a local pilot telling me he spent a few thousand dollars re-covering his 1-26 and that it needed to be done every X number of years (I can't remember that number now).

As usual hangar space might be possible but is usually unlikely due to demand.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks
Tom

Tom,
The problem with 1-26 is that you will have to be catching every thermal ahead of you or you will have to hurry back to the last one to prevent to be landing out. You will land out with 1-26 a lot and with that the safe 1-26 has a risk factor. Go for something better performance. The Libelle: My shoulder with is 19" and I cannot fit in the Libelle 201, however if you have 17.5" will work for you. There is lots of leg room in the Libelle, a 6ft 3" tall person would fit in. There is one for sale in St. Louis for $9500 (Wings and Wheels) with TWO trailers, (open and closed), has great vario, new canopy..... It is a nice glider and the seller is super nice.