Old November 2nd 06, 07:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
wright1902glider

Default When trailers go bad OR How not to tow your Wright Brothers machine

What is the total weight of the loaded trailer, and what is the weight
of the
tongue (at the ball) with the load on the trailer? You could have a balance
problem.
--
Jim in NC

No dice Jim. The axle is only 4' forward of the back end. Loaded tongue
weight is at the upper limits, usually 200+, but I've tried several
different balance combinations within the 10-20% of gross range without
any improvement. I don't think an anti-sway hitch would do much good
either, since the trailer has a tendancy to just roll over, rather than
sway wildly.

Good news though. A few months ago, I ferried the boat I inhierited
(sp?) from my Dad. 1500 miles from Louisiana to CO. with no problems.
The boat is 17' long, about 1,000 lbs. gross, and has a side profile
about 3' high. I ran on the same 12x4.8" tires that I pulled off of the
glider trailer, and didn't have any problems with 15-20 MPH crosswinds.
It did tuck in rather nicely behind the Dak, with the top deck at the
same height as the top of the tailgate, so that may help as well.

FYI: I've looked very hard at several sailplane trailers. But all that
I've seen so far will not accomodate the 60" chord wings from the
Wright machine. If anyone knows of a trailer that might, I'm open to
suggestions. Otherwise, I'll keep saving my pennies until I can afford
a 8x44' gooseneck & dually. Then, it would just be a matter of pulling
the front feathers off and stuffing the whole assembled glider into its
rolling hangar.

Harry