Old July 10th 03, 12:06 AM
bdl

Default Got my ticket.... now what (the cross-country question)

Blah Blah blah

Argggh.. thats what I get for attempting to post with Google. I meant for
this to be a MUCH longer message. And for it to make a little more sense.
Interesting how helpful the r.a.piloting group is, that everybody knew what
I was thinknig though and gave me answers anyway! I would have explected
large uproarious flames in another newsgroup for something even close to as
stupid as I was.

I've been a lurker on these groups for over a year, and just want to thank
all the wonderful advice and discussions that have gone on here. It really
intensifies the training, and would keep me thinking. More than once I would
see a question posted in here, think to myself, now what if that question
was part of your oral? And go digging into the FAR's, or the AIM, or the
POH.

I got my ticket 6/17/03, and to date I've done the "take my family for
rides" thing. But that can get old fast.

I'm based on the North side of St. Louis (3SQ). I guess I'm looking for
"interesting" cross-country flights in the Missouri, Iowa, Illinois,
Arkansas, Tennesee area. Any "must visit" places? Any good restaraunts,
etc. And yes Jay, I know about the Alexis Park Inn, and its a definite
planned stop for a weekend at some point. (Already worked a sample flight
plan).

My in-laws live in the Chicago area (5 mintues from ORD) and eventually
we'll be doing a weekend trip up there, but I want to do a few shorter trips
first (~1 hour v.s. the 2.5 to Chicago). Both to build up experience in
x-country flying and to get my wife more used to the idea of flying for
longer stretches and for travel.

Basically flying too someplace (so that my wife can see the advantages of GA
travel) rather than just flying to someplace for the sake of flying.

Any personal experiences anybody would like to share?

Brian